Saturday, November 12, 2011

ABORTION HURTS WOMEN




My name is Nona Ellington.


Thank you for the honor of sharing my personal testimony with you of how abortion hurt me.




When I was 13 years old, I was raped by a family member, who stole my virginity. After that experience, I was covered with shame and low self esteem. At 15 years old, I began dating a boy at high school who was quite popular, and I would hang out with him to smoke marijuana. He took me to his cousin's house one day after school and forced me into having sex before I even knew what was happening. I didn't realize at the time that it was "date rape". Shortly after that event, he broke up with me and then I realized I was pregnant. My shame was deepened when the ex boyfriend denied that the baby was his.

My sister, several friends and Planned Parenthood coerced me into having an abortion, giving me no other options, telling me it is what I needed to do since I was so young and still in high school.

After the abortion, I spiraled into very destructive behavior, more drugs, alcohol and promiscuous sex to fill the empty void. This led to getting married to a very abusive man for 18 years. I also attempted suicide by cutting myself during a time of severe depression.

During the marriage, as a result of the abortion, I had 5 miscarriages, 3 of them tubal pregnancies which required emergency surgery and very near death experiences. I have never been able to have children, as a result of the abortion at age 15.

Finally, after several years of hurting, I attended an abortion recovery Bible study, where I received healing and forgiveness through Jesus Christ. I also learned through Jesus how to forgive myself. I was able to honor my baby lost to abortion and also those I miscarried, as a result, in a memorial service. Soon after, I had the honor of leading others through the healing process and also the opportunity to help women in the state prison find healing after abortion.

Thank you again for the opportunity to share my heart with you about how abortion affected my life. May God bless each and every one of you!